Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Quest for the Best...Looney Donuts

I have driven by this donut store a few times and have wanted to stop in...but life usually gets in the way. However, the other morning, I actually made the stop and was pleasantly surprised.  The employees were very friendly - they actually said good morning to me, and the prices were very good. The 3 donuts below were only $2.60. The store was very clean, and they had a large selection of donuts from which to choose.
 
The maple bar was ok. The cake part was a little denser than some other maple bars I have tried recently. I could tell it was little too greasy, because the after taste was grease, instead of maple. The maple topping, is more like a maple cream (which I prefer), and not a thin layer of maple glaze. It was good, but I would have preferred more maple on top because the maple flavor didn't come through on each bite as I would have liked. Unfortunately, the taste of the grease was too overpowering.
 
 
The chocolate cake donut with peanuts on top, was five stars. The cake part was really moist and cooked to perfection. This donut had more of a chocolate creamy top, that was fresh and loaded - I mean loaded - with chopped peanuts. It is by far the best offering so far in my quest for the best chocolate cake donut.
 

 
The rainbow sprinkle donut was good. The cake part of the donut was fresh tasting, but was a bit dry. The glaze on top was very good though. Even with a drier cake than I would have preferred, the donut had a better overall flavor than the others that I have eaten.  
 
 
Looney Donuts, is a good place to stop for a morning donut. The staff is friendly and the prices are good.  I probably wouldn't order the maple bar again but, with their excellent selection, I will have fun trying all of the other donuts that this little shop has to offer.
 
Looney Donuts
7520 E Chapman Ave # C
Orange, CA 92869
(714) 771-7130

No comments:

Post a Comment